Alongside the route of the Great North Road just south of Stevenage town centre there are 6 rounded barrows.
Despite their prominent position there is little solid information concerning their origins. It is believed that they are Roman burial mounds dating from about 100AD. These would have contained the remains (possibly cremated) of prominent local people along with their burial goods.
The hills have all been dug in the past but documentation is scant. There are reports of finding “a few pieces of wood and a piece of iron” which were probably traces of the original burials.
There was damage to the Hills in about 1820 caused by widening of the Great North Road. Over the years, the Hills have all lost over 1metre in height.